Tuesday, April 04, 2006

2001

Source:www.yolk.com/v085/krusiec1.html

With three solid years on the family show “One World” under her belt, Michelle Krusiec is saying goodbye to goody two-shoes roles and HELLO to more racier fare with HBO's “The Mind Of The Married Man.”

“The duck is stiff and the tofu is rubbery. But those fried wontons aren't too bad—probably because they're fried,” says actress Michelle Krusiec as she frowns over what we ordered.
She's right. It takes talent to find bad Thai food in Los Angeles. It's sort of like finding bad dim sum in Queens or lousy sushi in Hawaii—it's possible but you'd have to really be trying! And yet one cannot help but admire overachievers, as the pair of us single-handedly found the worst Thai joint this side of a mall food court. I didn't have the heart to tell her who was responsible for the duck and the tofu, or just who should take credit for the fried wontons. But I didn't have to. She beat me to it. She's the one who ultimately stopped at this Century City joint. She's the one who ordered the chewy cubes and the firm fowl. And when it comes to taking responsibility, she's the one with no problem admitting it.


So, you're a “Hokey.”
(Smiles as if caught) Yes. I'm a Hokey. Do you know what that is?

That would be the mascot of Virginia Tech, a castrated turkey. Did you know what a Hokey was before you went there?
Yes, I did. We used to have a sound for it. (Krusiec makes a noise with her mouth and throat, demonstrating great coordination and oral dexterity.)

Impressive. So one of your first jobs after school was the host of the syndicated show, “Travelers.”
Yes. It was a big acting lesson because hosting is a lot like acting.

How so?
I had to figure out my personality on camera. I think that at such a young age, I was just fresh out of college—like 21 years old, and everyone else was in their late 20's to early 30's—I felt myself wanting to be smarter or sound more eloquent; try and prove that I was intelligent enough to handle the show. And I started learning that there is quite a technique to interviews, how to ask questions and how to listen to answers. All those things that I learned really shaped who I am now.

So now you're comfortable in front of a camera.
Yeah. I mean, there is always a certain amount of voyeurism when you have that camera in front of you. But maybe now I don't regard it as voyeurism, I see it as just another presence. I don't feel the need to turn something on and turn something off.

Tell me then about the film Pumpkin.
It's the forthcoming movie I did with Christina Ricci. It's by Zoetrope Studios and Francis Ford Coppola's daughter Zoë produced it. It's really a great script. Ricci falls in love with a handicapped boy and she belongs to a sorority. And I'm one of the sisters who tries to put a stop to the relationship because I'm an evil person. It was a very cool shoot. And I liked the character. She's memorable and quirky.

And then there's HBO's “The Mind Of The Married Man.” Interesting title.
Well the title speaks for itself. The show deals with the realities of marriage from a married man's point of view. It's done exceptionally well in terms of writing. The editing is also superb.

And your character “Sachiko” comes with some controversy?
Well, when I first saw this role, my manager forewarned me. She said, “Look, I think you're really going to have a reaction to the character but it's really a good show to be on.” She faxed me the sides and they said, literally: Japanese girl. Massage parlor. Accent. And she must be... topless.


O-kee-do-kee.
And sometimes you see these characters and you think the worst. Or you wonder what's it going to be about. And I had all these hesitations. But there's also a part of me that sees this interesting character and wonders.

How is Sachiko an interesting character?
Well, first of all, I'm fascinated by characters that work in taboo places, like strippers. I like to watch “Real Sex,” so I'm fascinated by things that people do that might not be socially acceptable. I also like darker characters. I'm fascinated by them. Bad people are always better. When you can find heroes and show that they're flawed—show their hubris—it's the most human thing that you can do. I also think this role has a great deal of potential.

Is Sachiko a victim?
No. And you can play her as a victim. She could've been used cheaply. But I don't think it was the intention of the show. And I think they really wanted somebody to step in and “get” this person. Mike Binder, the main character, is a married man who needs somebody to listen to him. He needs someone to serve as a therapist in a sense. And if you give the story a chance it shows how the two people really function as a service to one another, which is a really great thing about this series.

But you had your reservations?
When I found that me getting this role was a reality, I really started to feel the weight of the Asian community. I don't think I like responsibility, but I feel the weight of it. I didn't want to portray a character that I thought might put Asians in a negative light. And my fear, of course, was that they were going to entice me with a high concept character but in the end they might not come through and I'd be left as a stereotype. But it was pretty clear from the beginning when I stepped on that set that they knew what they were going to do and they did it. I took a risk and I'm really happy about it. I felt like if there is going to be this character, then at least let me take a shot at making her into something—as opposed to somebody else who might depict this woman as a typical stereotype. I could instill my own understanding of this person and make her even more interesting. But I felt with my understanding of immigrants and my understanding as an actress, I felt like I could give more to this character. Being topless also was a huge, huge thing. But it actually was easier to do than it was to accept. The decision was so difficult but when I got on the set and I had to do it, it was easy.


And it worked out?
Well, fortunately I took a giant leap and fell into good hands. “Sachiko” has been one of my favorite roles so far. And as for social responsibility—I hope I didn’t come off too righteous—but what I believe in and what I end up doing may be miles apart. But I try to live my life with a sense of consciousness. And I think that’s what I was trying to get across.

What did the parental units think?
My dad was like, “It's fine with me. We're in a new millennium. Sex isn't the same anymore.” But he also said I should ask my mom, like she would have a fit or something. But my mom once said I should pose for Playboy—my mom always believed that if you're going to pose you might as well get your money. And my dad was like, “Honey, you'd never get into Playboy. Not with your breasts, darling.” (wry smile) Of course they haven't really seen the show yet.

But in the end, you're proud of the experience?
Yes. Very. And you know what, after doing “Married Man,” I'm a lot more free with my body. I'm actually having a party for the show and I'm asking people to come topless. I figured I'm going to be topless, so why shouldn't they be?

Do you think people are going to show up topless?
(Wickedly laughs) Oh yeah. I have some wild friends! They're just looking for an excuse.

I remembered when you did “Star Trek.” You played a tragic character who barely spoke a word, really similar to Samantha Morton's role in Woody Allen's Sweet and Lowdown. Not the common role for an Asian actress. How was it?
It was great. It was so fun. First of all, my father is such a Star Trek fan. He'd always go, “Star Trek! When ya gonna be in Star Trek?” Finally I told him I was going to be on but I didn’t tell him I wasn't going to have any lines, which of course later his complaint was, “I wish you had spoken more.” But I really enjoyed that role because it was so theatrical and I really used all the skills that I had. I got to be up in a tree. Got to be this adult woman who was a child. It was fun and a challenge

Are you challenged often?
Well, I think that the projects that I've done so far, I pretty much attacked them with a fair amount of confidence and fervor. And I think that the characters that I've encountered, I think that I've been cast well for them. But there are certain areas of my acting where I feel I haven't been challenged enough.

Are you looking for something like that?
Absolutely. I think that every actor wants to be challenged by complex roles. A lot of the roles that I have been able to do have been interesting roles, offbeat quirkier roles. It's rare that I get the girl next door sort of thing.

So if your dad asked you to be one of the bizarre, random guest stars at a Star Trek convention, would you go?
Definitely. I'd do anything for my parents. I'm really close to them. I would have to be, I'm doing a one-woman show on my mom.

That show being “Made in Taiwan.” Not to do a shameless plug, but when is it playing?
Oh I'll do a shameless plug, no problem. It's in November in LA, at Highways Performance Space at the 19th Street Arts Complex in Santa Monica. It's part of Highways'annual Asian Pacific Performance Festival called Treasure In The House. I have the opening show. Actually, Alex (Luu, YOLK editor-in-chief and one-man show trooper) is also performing there as well. At the end, I think. My dates are November 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. I'm really excited because I first did it in February and it did really well. I had sold out performances and the whole experience had an impact on me.

How so?
It was very satisfying. And I think it just goes to show you that when you have a really good story to tell, people really identify. It's fulfilling to be able to create using your own storytelling ability. Writing to me is amazing. I love to write. I love to read other people's writing. It's really inspiring. I love imagery through words.

Tell me about the show.
focuses on a particular time in my life when I was really trying to grasp what it was that my mother wanted from me. And what it was that I wanted from her and what I wanted from myself. And it was predominantly during the teen to early years when I was really trying to start my own life. You know with the Asian culture, especially with the parents, they're really tight gripped. They put a hold on you and they have this amazing power over you. And you are just under their spell and you forget your own American idea of individuality, which is such a specific thing to America.

So what does your mother think of the show?
I don't think she really comprehends what it's about. But she knows about it. And I keep saying to my father, “Dad, it's not all good.” And my father keeps saying, “It's OK, not every family is normal.” I'm convinced every family is abnormal, and that’s the norm.

Is your mother going to see it?
Eventually, yeah. People ask me this all the time (low cautious voice), “Have your parents seen the show? What do you think they're going to say?” But the joy of this particular piece is being able to portray my mother. I think children do their parents extremely well. And my mom is such an interesting person. She's eccentric and outrageous with how she views life, men, and sex. She's very traditional woman that has experienced many different things that have made her become non-traditional. And you see in her this fight between the two.

Sounds like you had a few discoveries about yourself.
Yeah. My mother is an immigrant and in my show I portray numerous immigrants. It's something that I understand because even though I was raised in America I really feel strongly that I was raised bi-culturally. Even more on the Taiwanese side. I see myself more Taiwanese than American sometimes, I mean I have American values but I feel I really understand the immigrant experience.

Was it cathartic for you?
Yes. It's such a taxing show. I wrote myself a really good actor's journey. And for me, the most satisfying time was when people came up to me later and said they weren't sure if they should laugh or cry. I mean the show is really funny. But not being sure really made it very emotional and a lot like life.

So what happens if your mom said to you, “I hate it. Stop it.”
I don't think my mom would say that. I think I've gotten to a place now where I think I can explain to her my (dramatically) “needs.” That's really my big dilemma in my one-woman show, the weight of responsibility to my parents to do the right thing for them. But it's what you have to get over. And that’s how you become the adult.

Sounds like you are your mom.
(Wry smile) I am my mom. I guess there's nothing wrong with that. And that no one is perfect, although as a person and an actress, I try to strive for perfection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home